What is the purpose of a Special Census?
- A Special Census will determine the most up-to-date and accurate count of Goodlettsville’s population.
- Establishing an accurate count of Goodlettsville residents is important because of the direct correlation between state funding received and the City of Goodlettsville's population.
What are the benefits of a Special Census?
- The State of Tennessee collects and later re-distributes shared funding to Tennessee municipalities based on their population. An increased population count means a larger distribution of state revenue for the City of Goodlettsville – our true share based on our current population.
- An accurate count of residents will help the City plan for needed services and growth, including but not limited to: re-paving roads, building sidewalks, and park facility improvements.
Why is the City conducting a Special Census?
- City officials believe the City of Goodlettsville’s population has grown significantly since the last census was conducted. In order to receive additional shared state funding, we must establish an accurate population count.
How much money will the City of Goodlettsville receive?
- Municipalities receive approximately $170 (per individual) annually from the state of Tennessee.
Will my taxes increase?
- NO! There is no cost to you to participate in the City of Goodlettsville’s Special Census. The shared funding has already been collected by the State of Tennessee through various state taxes. This is not an additional tax, nor will it determine future taxes.
What are the requirements for a Special Census?
- The first and last names of all Goodlettsville residents – along with their physical address (including apartments and rental properties). This is the ONLY information required.
- This information will only be used to establish the present population of Goodlettsville and will be kept strictly confidential.
I live in the City of Goodlettsville. How do I get counted?
- There are multiple ways to be counted in the Special Census. It’s quick and easy!
- There is a secure form accessible through the City of Goodlettsville's website. This is the quickest and easiest way to participate.
- The City of Goodlettsville will send a letter to your home including a Special Census form and pre-paid postage return envelope. Fill out the form enclosed, place in the prepaid envelope provided and mail it back at no cost to you.
- Special Census forms will be available at City Hall and the Delmas Community Center.
Is it necessary to list the names of EVERY person living at my home?
- YES! In order for the State of Tennessee to verify the Special Census, a list of all Goodlettsville residential addresses and the first and last names for each person residing in the home or rental property is required.
- Please remember to count EVERYONE in your household. Whether they are infants, grandparents or children away at school, if they live at your addresses, they should be included on your Special Census form.
- Please contact City Hall if you have any questions about the Special Census or want to learn how you can help (615) 851-2200.
- Tell your friends and family – spread the word! Every resident counts!